Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What is an Anxiety "Disorder"?

It took a long time for me to accept that my anxiety had become a "disorder".
The word "disorder" sounds so serious, concrete, and down right scary! So what does it mean?


Disorder:
1. A lack of order or regular arrangement; confusion.
2. An ailment that affects the function of mind or body
3. To throw into confusion or disarray.
4.To disturb the normal physical or mental health of; derange.
(According to American Heritage Dictionary)


That helps a little. But basically it means that it has gone far beyond "normal" worry. I found out very early in the game that gathering as much information as I could about my conditions was the best way to acquire the first additions to my arsenal of treatment weapons. If you are new here, or new to mental illness, this is my first and most important piece of advice for you.

Here is my own very limited definition of what "Anxiety Disorder" is:

  • When the time you spend worrying or being fearful starts to interfere with your daily activities.
  • When you start to experience physical symptoms such as: headaches, tension, dizziness, heart palpitations, problems with your sleep, numbness, tingling, hot flashes and more.
  • When your anxiety starts to affect you relationships, your work, your social life.
  • When your anxiety is so severe it is accompanied by depression, obsessions, panic attacks or other disabling mental conditions.
If you would like a more concrete definition from a reliable medical source, I suggest visiting the websites listed below and your doctor.



No comments:

Post a Comment