Tuesday, September 3, 2013

STIGMA

"It's all in your head."

Mental health stigma cuts deep. Affecting confidence, self-esteem, self-stigma (yes we stigmatize ourselves) and reaching treatment goals. Those with mental illnesses that affect their behavior are more stigmatized than others, because people can actually "see" the illness.

I wonder as an anxiety-panic person, what it is people actually think of me? I shouldn't care because it's none of my business but when the day is done, guess what? I do care. I have only been called a few names in the book, but it's mostly how others behave towards me that suggest how they really feel.

I am pretty good at hiding how I feel when I need to. We become better actors with time. Emotions and things of the mind are not on everyone's "comfortable" list. So naturally we try to cover it up. I myself will try to minimize things, keeping the hairy growling beast deep down in my gut where I think it belongs.

Going back to what's visible and what is not... A mental illness is never "all in someone's head". A mental illness affects the entire being; body, soul and mind. When I hear of someone who has breast cancer, I don't think or say, "it's all in their breast"! The brain is a vital organ, hidden behind the scenes controlling every single thing our bodies do. Every task, every step, every word, our breath, our heart beat. There's nothing this lean mean jelly machine cannot do! Unfortunately it gets sick too. It doesn't always function the way it should.

The only way I know how to end mental health stigma is education. I believe this is not just the responsiblity of the medical community. Those who suffer from mental illness are the number one scholars on this topic. We know more about our mental health and it's effects better than anyone.

Keeping our struggles and demons hidden does not make us any stronger. Real strength comes through courage and honesty. I'm not saying to go have a heart to heart with anyone who will listen, but be aware for those opportunities to speak up.



The Huffington Post has some great articles on mental health stigma if you'd like to read more on this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment